Day Z part 2
Hey guys, I'm back with Part 2 of my Day-Z blog where i'll be goin through the various gameplay mechanics, what you need to play this game and finally the pros and cons for this ambitous mod.
Story= Nope no story here, just survival horror at it's best but what i did find is every situation i went through would be similar to a scene from a great Zombie flick, whether it was been chased by the hoard to the trust of the people around you, could you even trust yourself to help others when food and ammo is so scarce?
Graphics= I've been playing at Max setting and this game looks great, detailed surrounding areas, great textures, long distance visability and animations are up to scratch too.
Sounds= The zombie sound effects are fantastic from the low grumblings as they stagger around through to the wailing screams as they give chase, all other effects do a good job at creating a good atmosphere, birds whistle in the trees, ocean breeze by the beach and even the fly's buzzing around a corpse as you scavage for anything !!
1) Massive area to explore around , it's huge, roughly 13 Km by 12 Km.
2) Hardcore, it's good that once you're dead you have to start from scartch, it makes every encounter so much more frightening, you will edge around ever corner and panic in every building you explore.
3) Realisim, Day and night cycle true to your country, you start with no map or compass as you'll have to find these as you explore, you need to eat food, drink water, stay warm at night by a fire or find shelter in a building and perform a blood transfusion when blood is lost (check out the hospitals ). You also have a sight guage for how visable you are to others and a sound guage for how much noise you're making.
4) Vehicles, work as a team to repair broken cars, buses and other methods of travel but you'll need petrol and various other parts that are scattered around( i'd suggest checking out a garage ).
5) Other players, thats what makes the game so good, avoid, kill or attempt to forge an alliance and potentially expose yourself to been slaughtered in cold blood ? your choice.
There're many more but i don't want to give everything away
1) Buggy, zombies coming through doors you've just shut, graphic glitches, some dodgy animations from the zombies and an inability to crawl through doorways but hopefully these will be sorted through patches.
2) When you're dead you're dead, yep it's a pro but still, having found your first map, Assault Rifle and Gillie Suit only to be murdered by a gang of bloody player bandits, the only word i can use to explain that feeling is RAGE !!!!
3) Sparse, the game world is huge and most servers only a max of 50 players so you can end up having a lonely experiance (you could see this as a good thing).
HDR = from very high to high is an increase of 10 frames
Post Process = doesn't look very good so get rid , game will look better and run smoother.
PPAA = is an easy way of smoothing the graphics with little to no performance inpact so max this out
For this mod you need ARMA 2, ARMA 2 operation Arrowhead (combined forces) also get the DLC Private Military Contractor (PMC) this will give you the latest character models for the Mod. The mod itself can be found here : http://dayzmod.com/
Any questions on anything then just let me know and i'll be happy to help :D