Welcome to the GD Forums. These forums require separate registration from the main GD pages.
We advise you to register here with the same username as you used on GD
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC

What do you value most in a game?
Graphics 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Gameplay 54%  54%  [ 33 ]
Sound 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Price 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Replay Value 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Story 30%  30%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: [QUESTION] - What do you value most in a game?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Some of nowadays game are all visuals and no content or offer great gameplay but are short. Tell us, what do you value most on a game? Great sound effects? Impressive visuals? Unpredictable and compelling story? You can only vote once and you can't take your vote back so think carefully.

Post subject: Re: [QUESTION] - What do you value most in a game?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 am 

Story is the main reason to play a game. if the story of game is not good then you would not be able to play that game whether that game has good graphics or sound. Story must be perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 am 

I like games with a good story, good gameplay and high quality graphics. The reason why I voted for story improvement is that games with a well written story are more popular and liked by everyone. I'm fond of watching cutscenes especially made using CG. I am a fan of CAPCOM and love dino crisis 1 and 2, resident evil series and of course, devil may cry series. Other games are also good but have more time of gameplay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Well story is winning so far :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 pm 

It's too hard to place a blanket statement over games as to which value is most important as different genres value different things. Some games ares story focused and need a good story to be good while others are sandbox style which need no story at all. What is the story of Sims 3 or a sports game? Nothing but those are very fun games. Think about games like Starcraft, did you ever care about the story? I know I didn't but it was super fun. Some games impress with graphics and sound but again some don't but can be equally fun like Minecraft or Terreria. In the end a game just has to be fun one way or another.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

You are absolutely right my friend. However the question is asked with a different perspective like: when you watch a trailer and decide - I am going to buy this game, what has the most importance on your decision? I vote for the gameplay and and after it the graphics. For example, like you said, I like Sim series, yet they have no story at all. I like Resident Evil 5 mostly by the gameplay and graphics and not by the predictable story. So, what I am trying to say is: if for example great games like The Sims and Resident Evil 5 do not have great stories (or any at all) and are great, than the story isn't that much important.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:50 pm 

Don't get shocked if I say anything strange, but from my point of view, only a few games are complete in each prespective. You might be the fan of COD, BF, SIMS, RESIDENT EVIL, AC, FF etc., you love those games very much; yet improvements are needed. I respect the hardwork that the developers do, but games have become more than fun for us. We learn a lot from them. So they should try to make them more practical and involve other stuff. That will make the games more fun, more practical, more life like and months of fun. I think such games will take over 24 gb space in your hdd like gta4.lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:06 pm 

I have some words to say on the comment of realyeno. He said that a sports game need no story line. But that is not true from my point of view yet the developers will agree with it. Sports games can be provided such an impressive story by changing the CAREER MODE to something that includes the precious moments of the life of a player or team and start it with some basics. I do think like a game developer and has thousands of ideas to share. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

A game can only be so good. What I mean is, it can't be under development for too long or developers will have loss instead of income.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:16 am 

Well its hard to play a game with even one of these category bad, but i would have to chose story, then graphics, then game play, etc. I would have to put sound last. My final vote is story with out a good story the game is crap, look for example at dark void, excellent game play, and graphics but, the story line sucked so bad!! even the flash backs have the same cloths they are currently wearing. If you have played dark void you know what im talking about.