Welcome to the GD Forums. These forums require separate registration from the main GD pages.
We advise you to register here with the same username as you used on GD
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NEW PC Builders - Look here before you post!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:46 pm 

Before making a post about wanting to build or buy a new PC please post the following information so that we can help you. Just copy and paste the list from below and fill in the info. That will help us help YOU save money and effort! :D

1. What country do you live in?

2. What stores do you plan on buying parts from? Some sites don't ship to certain countries.

3. What your PC will be used for? Describe what you will use your PC ie: gaming, video editing, paper weight etc.

4 What is your budget? Give the range you are willing to spend pre-tax and pre-shipping.

5. If you have a brand preference. Declare your fan-boyism ie Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc. Don't worry we won't judge.

6. Is there anything you can keep from your old rig? Ie: monitor, psu, etc

7. Will you overclock it or run at stock? If you are going to OC how far to you want to go?

8. What resolution do you use (ex:1920x1080, 1680X1050) and what game setting to do prefer (high, med, low)?

Post subject: Re: NEW PC Builders - Look here before you post!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:52 pm 

HOLY SH*T!
its like you read my mind!! a few days ago i started writing a topic about this issue but i stopped mid writing becausei fell asleep. the fact that your writing it right now is mind blowing :o

btw touche about the topic , its so neccasery to have this and it saves so much trouble for both the writer and the commenter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:45 pm 

Hello....just came to say....I WAS HERE ON 3 DECEMBER 2011!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 am 

so? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 am 

i think you should add a few more questions.
1.do you plan on doing any overclocking in the future,if you do how far do you plan to go?
2.what settings do you like to play on ,also what's your prefferd FPS rate?
3. do you want to keep that build with the option to upgrade it later or are you planning to build a new from the ground when this 1 stops working?

those questions can sure help us alittle more ,you can ask felix to do his magic and make this lines look better like he does with some articles :D .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm 

Those are some good questions, I'll tweak the list when I get a free moment later today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 am 

Ok, I'm looking for some advice on my first custom build, and this seems like as good a place to start as any:
1. United States
2. Preferably stores rather than sites (Microcenter, Best Buy are close)
3. Will be used for gaming, web-surfing, basic video editing; basic multitasking is a must-have
4. I'm trying to make the most of a $3-400 dollar total budget; the better the value, the better
5. No specific preferences brand-wise, but AMD may be the way to go processor-wise due to costs
6. My old case, CD-Drive, and Power supply (300W) are probably usable, but could be replaced if compatibility or power issues exist
7. Most likely no overclocking, a least initially
8 The better the setttings, the better; not sure on resolution as I need a new monitor

So far, I've been looking at an AMD llano A4 X2 3400 APU (http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0375728) to build off of. I'm not sure if it's necessary to go above two cores, as my laptop's dual-core i5 can handle anything I can throw at it, though any advice would be welcome. Also, my GPU (a GeForce 310M) is seriously bottlenecking game performance, so I was wondering if the integrated 6410D chip in the llano would yield better performance, or if a dedicated card would be needed. Any help with build suggestions would be apprciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 am 

Please post this in the system components section: viewforum.php?f=5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 am 

So I am pretty new to PC building like I know alot about software but only just built my new computer last month.

1: I live in Canada.

2: I have bought all my parts at the moment at Tiger Direct online and in store when I am close to one.

3: My PC is going to be used for gaming on steam and origin.

4: My budget at the time I built my computer was $800 but i bought all my parts on sale and I spent $715 and now I am hoping of upgrading a few things mostly cooling wise but from my case I went with probably will need to get another one now.

5: I don't have too much of a preference but I am quite impressed with the AMD FX 4100 I got in it I do also like radeon HD graphics cards so I guess I am an AMD/ATI kinda guy like to stick with the same company.

6: My last gaming rig was actually my gaming laptop which has seen alot of action and its going down now so that's what made me decide on a desktop.

7: Right now i run stock clockspeed but was hoping of doing some overclocking down the road for when some of the newer games start needing a demand for it I would rather not go to far I have heard people going to like 5 GHZ I would probably go as far as 4.6 GHZ and that's even pushing it from what I am comfortable with.

8: My resolution is from my HDTV since I don't need a monitor its a 32 inch 1920x1080 which is perfect enough for me. And i prefer my games as the highest settings except water effects haven't always been something I care for so they are usually down a notch or two same with radial blur.

I have heard alot of great things about game debate and I am hoping of getting some help with certain noob questions down the road :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am 

need a new pc build:
1. america
2. amazon or newegg
3. gaming, video editing, surfing the web,
4. $750 is the max i am willing to spend on this build including os and keyboard and mouse
5. i am not a fan boy, i am unbiased although i do prefer wd hdd's
6. there is nothing i can keep from my old build, i need everything including keyboard and mouse, and an os
7. i will mostly likely run at stock, but i might oc in the future
8.i use a 1080p samsung hd smart tv and prefer to play on the highest settings in games