After an inordinate amount of hype for what amounted to a 14-minute video, Nintendo dropped its latest Nintendo Direct ‘Mini’ on the masses today. Short but sweet, the Direct outlined the Switch game lineup for Q1 2018, as well as a peek at a few games out this summer.
A grand total of 14 announcements, including no less than six new game announcements. For those who owned a Wii U, it’s undoubtedly a less exciting lineup though, with Nintendo choosing to port over two more games from its failed platform.
Personally, I have to say Mario Tennis Aces looks like the pick of the bunch in terms of announcements. After what’s amounted to a decade of hastily thrown together sports games, Nintendo has finally reintroduced the RPG-style story mode for solo players. Camelot has proven itself excellent at this in the past, so here’s hoping they can do it again.
Nintendo Direct Mini - January 11th, 2018: Highlights
- The World Ends With You Remixed is heading to Nintendo Switch
- Aegislash, Mega Rayquaza, Mimikyu, Blastoise, Mew, and Celebi coming as paid DLC for Pokken Tournament DX
- Kirby Star Allies release date on March 16th confirmed
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition out Spring 2018
- Mario Tennis Aces includes RPG mode, out in Spring 2018
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana coming to Switch, available in Summer 2018
- Super Mario Odyssey free update ‘Luigi’s Balloon World’ competitive mode out in February
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy fighting game out in Summer
- Donkey Kong playable character and new world coming to Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle as DLC
- Payday 2 features a new playable character. Game will be out on February 27th
- EA’s ‘indie’ exploration game Fe will be out on FEbruary 16th
- Celeste is a “modern take on action platformers”, launches on January 25th
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is being ported from Wii U to Switch, out May 4th
- Dark Souls Remastered announced for Nintendo Switch, launches on May 25th
What are your thoughts on the announced? How do you think the Switch is shaping up in early 2018? Let us know!