There was a time when we didn't have Killstreaks, Deathstreaks, Perks, Lots of weapons, different varieties of multiplayer game types and any huge maps, so here we're back in the year of 2003 when the first Call of Duty title has been released. Call of Duty is one of the most famous game in the history. Lately, it has been ported into PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, retitled as the Call of Duty Classic to give the console gamers a chance to play the original Call of Duty.
The whole game is based on the World War 2. There isn't much to talk about the plot. There is not a good character development going on with the story. You barely get to meet with the characters on this game.
Gameplay and Controls
Gameplay on this is a lot different compared to latest Call of Duty titles such as, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. In the game you get to play as different perspectives from the British's, American's and Russians (Also, known as Soviets). In each side you get to play as three different characters, which means you get a chance to experience the World War II as three different perspectives. Since you can play this game from three different perspectives, you'll think you can choose missions of your choice, but No, you have to start from American missions, then British missions, at last the Russian/Soviet missions. You can carry two primary weapons, a handgun and up to ten grenades. Also, you can exchange weapons that you already have with weapons that have been dropped by dead soldiers during battles. The first thing I've noticed while playing the game is, there is no health recovering (Which was on recently released Call of Duty titles), which is pretty much making the game more realistic and difficult to win, but there is a way to regain health and it's the only way to regain health and that is by finding and using Medkits. You can find them on each level, and the places can be vary. Then the next thing I've noticed is, you can't sprint, there is no button to sprint on this game. Only things you can do is, jump, crouch, prawn. As a PC gamer the controls are perfectly normal for a first person shooter game. Also, there is no usage of knifes while you're performing a melee attack on this game. Basically, you perform a melee attack by hitting the enemy with your hand. I thought that would be interesting if you've played latest Call of Duty titles before and one other thing that is a lot different from the recent Call of Duty titles is, you don't have to hold your breath on scoped weapons to be more acccurate, so all the shots you shoot at the enemy with a scoped weapon like sniper is going to be 100% accurate. in to make your aim Each level comes in a different variety. Aiming down the sight and weapon changing is actually easy and smooth on PC. Every mission on this game is fun. Some mission are easy and fun and others hard and intensive. These intensive and hard missions took me about 1 hour to complete. If you're a professional hardcore player, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finishing them in around 15 minutes.
Multiplayer is pretty good compared to the year 2003. Now the multiplayer is beginning to become rare and rare due to the low amount of players. The multiplayer has only 6 different game play modes. As I was talking about Perks and those new fancy stuff from the recent Call of Duty games at the beginning of this review, this game doesn't have any of those new 'fancy' stuff. Multiplayer on this game is simple and fantastic. Here are some of the game modes that you can play on the multiplayer,
- Search and Destroy - In this game play mode, you get to be on either the attacking side or the defending side. The goal of attacking side is to eliminate all players on the defending side or plant a bomb on either one o the bomb sites and protect it till the timer reach out to 0. The goal of the defending team is to defend the attacking team from planting the bomb or eliminate all players on the attacking side. Also, there is only one life for each player on the both teams. This has been on every single Call of Duty title that has been released till today.
- Behind The Enemy Lines - In this game play mode, most of the people are going to spawn as an Axis player, only the powerful/hardcore players spawn as Allies. Basically, If Axis player killed an Allie player, Allie player is going to spawn as an Axis player and the Axis player is going to spawn as an Allie player. Same theory applies to the Allie player. Person who is surviving the most wins.
- Team Deathmatch - In this mode, team to score the highest amount of kills in the limited amount of time wins. Also, this is one of the popular game play mode on Call of Duty.
- Deathmatch - This mode is a lot similar to the Team Deathmatch. The only thing that is different from the Team Deathmatch is there are no teams on this game. You have to play it individually and you can kill anybody that you see. Also, this one has a limited amount of time as the Team Deathmatch.
Graphics on this game is a lot similar to the graphics that were on Quake III Arena, that because this one is using the same engine that has been used on the Quake III Arena which is id Tech 3 Engine. Also, it has been heavily modified for the Call of Duty. Graphics aren't complicated. Compared to the most recent Call of Duty title, which is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 this title this game has extremely low graphics, but they are simple and fantastic for a year like 2003.
Sound on this game is great. Sounds that are used for the weapons are pretty good. There is nothing wrong with the sounds on this game. It would've been awesome if this game had background music.
AI on this game is actually quite good, but sometimes it can be quite dumb. Compared to the recent Call of Duty title and recent first person shooter games, this one's AI is pretty good. Things I hate about AI on this game are, when my Allies letting me die and don't shoot at the enemy. Sometimes I feel lonely because my allies don't shoot at the enemy and I'm the only one who is shooting at the enemy, which you can say as quite dumb., but they still do the things that they have to do. For Example: Hiding behind the covers, throwing grenades.
- Pretty good campaign, very enjoyable.
- Experience World War II in three different perspectives.
- Graphics are quite good compared to the year.
- Missions are quite fun and intensive.
- No background music
- Poor AI
- Poor Character Development
- Not many weapons to choose from.
As a reviewer I'll give this game score of 7.5 out of 10, considering my Pros and Cons. I've been playing this game for a while, and it's really enjoyable. Due to low amount of players, the multiplayer on this game is getting extremely rare, but still you can enjoy the single player campaign. I would suggest this game to any person who wants to experience World War II, and and any person who wants to experience the first Call of Duty that has been ever made. Get this game, you won't regret it.