Hello guys, I'm building a PC for my cousin, and it's the first desktop I'll be choosing the parts just by myself (no technician consulted in the part choosing process, but we'll get one to assist with the assembly and OS). Although I usually feel pretty fine with my average knowledge of hardware, I must admit that when it's not my own money I desperately need a second opinion.
So, he has a budget of around 800 euros for the case, and here are the components I've currently proposed. You can either comment on whether they cooperate properly together (e.g. bad motherboard, unneeded PSU power) , or give advice on changing some parts. I appreciate it! :
1) CPU - FX-8350 : at 170 euros I find it quite an exceptional choice, and really future proof, no overclock-needed. Although my cousin mostly plays 'older' games, that usually support 2 cores or so, I think there is no point in getting an i5 for the same price and getting 100 fps instead of 70, since he has a 60 hz monitor, and that's already quite enough. However, decent choices for the same price are the: i5-4570 @ 3,2 ghz but I don't know what motherboard would be suited for itand the cost of it.
2) Motherboard - Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 at 90 euros is my main choice. Please note that this CPU will not be overclocked, decent quality for the build is required, thought without overextending the budget.
Other options: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P , Asrock 990FX Extreme3 , Asrock 970 Extreme4 , Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 (please note that these Asrock boards have 4+1 phase count and i don't know if it will cause any throttle) , Asus M5A97 R2.0 , Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 , Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 (note that according to overclock.net the Asus cards are known for problems : http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database)
Also, if we for some reason end up with the 4th gen i5, what is the equivalent in terms of quality and features of this(/these) motherboard? And please try to keep it below 90-100 euros :-)
3) GPU - Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Toxic at 210 euros. I know that many r9 270x s can be found for 30 euros less than this, and that for the same price I can get r9 280 , but after all the reviews I've seen of the toxic edition I must admit I'm more than impressed with the cooling system, performance and overal quality. I just don't find it reasonal to get a bad r9 280 or gtx 760 at this price point and experience same performance for worse cooling system. What do you think guys?
Note the monitor will be 1080p too. Althought I must admit that the Gigabyte GTX 760 WindForce has some potential at the same price!
4) Case - Thermaltake Commander GS-III at 40 euros. This may seem like quite low-end, but to be honest, I think it suffices, while having some decent looks. I just don't know if the premium products have anything to crave for that this one doesn't. The only thing I am kind of worried about it the width, for the cpu cooler. And about the gpu size, from what I remember reading both the gtx 760 and the r9 270x fit perfectly, correct me if wrong.
5) RAM - 8GB 1600/1866 MHz CL10 or 9 (as 2x4GB) at about 70-80 euros. OK, nothing too special here :P Just a question, if he ever wishes to add a third module (3x4GB) of the same RAM of course, can he do it? I've read so many yes and nos and maybes in this part. From what I know it depends on the CPU-mobo combo support, as well as the specific RAM model. I don't know... he wishes he 'll have the ability to add some extra RAM in the future without changing other parts of course, so I'm also considering getting him 1x8GB stick so he can get a second one without any worries in the future at all. Is the difference between single and dual channel big enough to notice?
6) PSU - Thermaltake Berlin 630W at 55 euros. I think it's more than enough, I should check the lanes and amps again but from what I remember it is enough for future upgrates too.
7) Storage: he already has an SSD for the OS, certain programs and games like minecraft which load content dynamically and not per-level, and he'll also get a 2TB HDD drive, at about 80 euros. Any proposals for a nice quality one which will last for 5 years or so while not making noises as if a plane is flying inside his case? :)
8) Cooling: CPU cooler: Thermaltake NIC F4 at 38 euros (my other choice is CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO). I want him to make a decently silent PC, but if we get the FX we'll need a beasty cooler and I think the Thermaltake one is a better choice overally from the famous Hyper. Any thoughts?
Will also add a total of 3 relatively silent fans on the case, one in the front for air intake, and a couple on the back and top for air ouput (+the PSU's fan of course).
Ooh, and I'm considering adding custom thermal paste, but I 've no idea of a cheap and good one.
9) He wants a couple of cool looking LEDs, besides the ones on the fan, so I'm working on it :-P Any non-expensive ideas are welcome!
10) ??? I don't think I've forgotten anything, but please comment on it! :D
Estimated total cost (excluding the LEDs I guess) = 800 euros.
Does the CPU cooler not fit in the case? Anything wrong overally? I trully appreciate your help! :-)
Ooh, and if you noticed, this build is relatively similar to the one I was planning on getting for myself (got a decent gaming laptop for school and work purposes instead, will get a desktop on early 2017 or so) since I was quite familiar with the products and I think they are good value for the money.