A lot of people ask about CPU cooler recommendations, and since I can't answer every single one of them personally, I'm wiring this short hardware recommendation list. The goal of this list, is to provide hardware that has a proven track record that can hopefully assist you in your hardware selection process.
Now that that's been taken care off, it's off to the races. ;)
The cooler that I recommend is the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
[First time installation and use by Carey Holzman](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vayXV28ya4) - long video 1h24m
The reasons why I recommend this specific cooler:
- RAM clearance (due to the coolers shape you can use sticks that would normally be blocked by the CPU cooler fins)
- You get all the brackets you need for AMD and Intel CPU's, (no need to buy an adapter)
- Proven track record/reliability/performance (check out reviews on YouTube or Amazon (for actual first time installation and use check out CaryeHolzman on YT, he used the CPU in a ton of builds)
- Price (in the past this cooler was selling for around $50 USD (a fair price for the performance that is offered), but a quick search on Amazon showed me a price of $82.61 - I'll discus the price issue further down
- Ease of installation (they even ship you a magnetized screwdriver to install it)
I could list another 10 things abut it, that would be tedious and I'm trying to keep this relatively short. Back to the price conundrum. Due to the current state of the world, certain hardware has become hard to come by (laptops & USB cameras are a good example).
In my opinion, the maximum amount you should pay for this cooler is $65 USD. If the price is above that, you have a few options to consider.
- wait for the price to come down
- hunt for promo codes online to get a discount
- check out the used market (I'm so confident in the coolers build quality, that you should have no problems. Unless the previous owned hit it with a baseball bat ;)
That's about it. Share your thoughts down bellow (which coolers you like/use/prefer etc...)
Have a good one.