More than 50 EA titles will be losing all multiplayer and online support when the publishing giant flicks the switch on much of its back catalogue.
Big-hitters such as Battlefield 2, Crysis 2, and Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars are among the titles getting the cut, many of which have also been affected by the discontinued support of Gamespy’s servers…
"Since GameSpy's announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running,” wrote EA in a statement. “Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.
"We know some of these games are still fan favorites, including Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command & Conquer games. We are still investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles, such as multiplayer. Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don't have anything to announce."
• Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions)
• Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion)
• Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2
• Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion)
• Battlefield Vietnam for PC
• Bejeweled 2 for the Wii
• Bulletstorm for PlayStation 3
• Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for PC and Mac (including Kane’s Wrath expansion)
• Command & Conquer: Generals for PC and Mac (including Zero Hour expansion)
• Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 for PC and Mac
• Crysis 2 for PC
• Crysis for PC
• Crysis Wars for PC
• Dracula – Undead Awakening for the Wii
• Dragon Sakura for Nintendo DS
• EA Sports 06 for PC
• F1 2002 for PC
• FIFA Soccer 08 (KOR) for the Wii
• FIFA Soccer 08 for Nintendo DS
• FIFA Soccer 09 for Nintendo DS
• FIFA Soccer 10 for Nintendo DS
• FIFA Street 3 for Nintendo DS
• Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers for PlayStation 2
• Global Operations for PC
• Green Day: Rock Band for the Wii
• James Bond: Nightfire for PC
• Madden NFL 08 for Nintendo DS
• Madden NFL 09 for Nintendo DS
• Master of Orion III for PC
• Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for PC and Mac (including Breakthrough and Spearhead expansions)
• MySims Party for Wii
• MySims Racing for Nintendo DS
• MySims SkyHeroes for the Wii and DS
• NASCAR Sim Racing for PC
• NASCAR Thunder 2003 for PC
• NASCAR Thunder 2004 for PC
• Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for PC
• Need for Speed: ProStreet for Nintendo DS
• Need for Speed: Undercover for Nintendo DS
• Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC and Mac
• Neverwinter Nights for PC, Mac and Linux (including Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of • Undrentide expansions)
• SimCity Creator for Wii
• Skate It for Nintendo DS
• Sneezies for the Wii
• Spore Creatures for Nintendo DS
• Spore Hero Arena for Nintendo DS
• Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2
• Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2
• The Beatles: Rock Band for the Wii
• Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 for Nintendo DS
Which of these games are you going to be disappointed to see lose online support?
Do you think EA should have acted to prevent these titles from potentially losing their online component forever?
Let us know quickly, before the servers shut down!
Login or Register to join the debate
cut it down lol..... i dont care
NOOO BATTLEFRONT II !!!!
Why did you change the picture?
Command and Conquer Kane's Wrath still has plenty of People, I play that online all the time, Nah this is unfair, im sorry it us. =(
I mean, It's not like any of these games were any good, and that everyone already hates EA or anything.... (NO SARCASM WHATSOEVER)
Was that sarcasm in your claim there wasn't any sarcasm, sorry sarcastic comments that may or may not contain sarcasm always get me, like some form of satirical sarcasm.
i understand some of those games being shut down, but the great original classics like bf 1942, bf 2142, swbf 2, etc. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! those games are the only ones of their kinds! ea is again ruining my gaming experience
Well game ranger is taking swbf2 and I think they gonna have bf2 too :D
"Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don't have anything to announce."
Suuuurrree. I bet the community will have something up and running within days. Just another day at EA.
Yeah and I think game ranger will be taking over somethings that gamespy had
i hope these games will find another place to be hosted and played at
I actually enjoyed the first crysis' MP, I'm sad to see it go to be honest, maybe some fan servers will pop up.
I don't quite get it... will the single player, at least, still be available for these games?
At the very least, I'm personally happy Bad Company 1&2 weren't here. They may be eventually though... bursts into tears, HUG ME!
Wait asterisks are now in italic font? HUG ME MORE!
The Crysis games are the only ones on the list that I own. While I can live without Crysis and Crysis Wars Multiplayer, I do enjoy Crysis 2 Multiplayer since my specs can't handle Crysis 3 in the larger multiplayer maps. :/
Aw, i was about to buy star wars battlefront II for the online multiplayer :(
so...EA proves they have some stupidity left in them...lovely. If they're trying to get back on the good side of gamers like with their On The House program, this is NOT the way to do it, dangit EA.
At lease bf2 doesn't really matter. bf2 singleplayer is actually multiplayer with bots instead of humans...
Thats why great SinglePlayer games like DeuxEx and Wolfenstein will live forever ^^
Bad Company 2 and NFS world are not included :) Thank God!
Good idea. Now that can focus there servers and time on games of the last 5 years instead of 15!
If you are serious you must have not played any of ea's old games that were great
Yea played most of them, 20 years ago!! Common now, time to move on....
I still love games like bf2 and sometimes still play them, but there is game ranger which will take it over
Crysis 2? Damn, was hoping to play some of that MP soon...
Yet they still sell these titles until the end, and might continue even after! Bunch of greedy person in EA, if people don't realize that EA has the capacity to provide (and they are supposed to) online support for these game again, in 2014, then geez..