Quake Live has had a massive update ahead of its imminent launch on Steam, bringing in a raft of changes and improvements to the classic Quake III Arena formula. But, and there’s always a but, the fans aren't happy, with many outraged at the alterations occurring to id Software’s beloved shooter.
Among other things players can now automatically bunny hop, choose weapon loadouts, all friendly fire has been disable, and even method for automatic strafing has been added. If there’s one thing worse than no change for gamers then it’s change though, and longtime fans of the game are pretty miffed that id is making some fundamental changes to the base Quake Live gameplay.
The Quake Live forums are awash with negativity following the update announcement, ranging from “RIP Quake,” to “Cool, you guys didn't listen to the community whatsoever. Sub canceled,” and even “Serious question: Do any of the devs actually play the game? I don't think so.”
The Quake Live team has responded to the criticism though, writing “Quake is a masterful game of skill, often compared to Chess by its veteran players. However, with that depth has come a challenge to welcome and capture new players long enough for them to discover the joy to be found in what many consider the finest Deathmatch game ever made.”
Quake Live has always been about the mastery of its fundamentals, wherein the very best players have exhausted thousands of hours perfecting their movement, aiming, and strategies. This has been turn on its head with this latest update, but the Quake Live team insist it is necessary to bring new players into the game. “It has been quite clear what the greatest barriers are: effectiveness on spawn, movement, and item control,” continued the Quake Live team. “These elements on several levels also make our game great, so we wanted to see what could be done to make the game a more enjoyable experience, all while teaching players a bit of the meta-game depth.”
Here’s the Quake Live Ruleset which has been added below, while you can check out the full patch notes here for the general game changes and fixes that will also be arriving in the update.New Quake Live Ruleset
- Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
- Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
- Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).
- Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.
- Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.
- Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.
- Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
- Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
- Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.
- Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
- Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.
- Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.
There's no confirmed release date for Quake Live on Steam just yet, although its launch is expected imminently. It's a free to play title so you can grab it for yourself now here ahead of its Steam launch. What do you make of id Software's changes? Is altering the fundamental gameplay of a game too damaging to its long-term player base? Let us know what you think!