Its time for a new add on to the most popular MMORPG of all time. We are getting new character models and various other graphical enhancements with the latest expansion for World of Warcraft, Warlords of Draenor. This also means we get completely new and refreshingly modern system requirements for World of Warcraft.
Traditionally World of Warcraft would run on a calculator from 1984 [OK, so I am exaggerating, but it would certainly chug along on a fairly weak laptop]. The thinking behind this was to make sure that the entry level for World of Warcraft was not restricted by a gamer's hardware. Besides, they also had to make sure they could pass the data back and forth reliably across the internet, and back in 2005 when WOW released that was pretty impressive stuff. But now we have the new Warlords of Draenor system requirements so let's see who can still play World of Warcraft and who out of the 6 million gamers needs a hardware upgrade.
World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP / Vista
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / AMD Phenom X3 8750
- RAM: 1GB of System Memory for XP, 2GB if you use any more modern Windows
- GPU RAM: 512MB Graphics Memory
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4850
- Laptop GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
- HD: 35GB
- DX: DirectX 9.0c
- RES: 1024x768 minimum display resolution
- NET: Broadband
- INPUT: Keyboard and mouse (other devices are not supported)
World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Recommended System Requirements
- OS: Windows Vista 7 or 8 or 8.1 with most recent service pack
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 / AMD FX 4100, or better
- RAM: 4GB of System Memory
- GPU RAM: 768MB Graphics Memory
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / ATI Radeon HD 5870, or better
- Laptop GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400
So there is still support in there for fairly old laptops. This is represented by the Intel HD 3000. An Intel E6600 or X3 8750 are low end CPUs too by todays standards, so the system requirement bottom end is nice and low, especially if you have Windows XP, where Warlords of Draenor only calls for 1GB of system memory. The recommended system specs for World of Warcraft, however, show us that we are hopefully in for a nice visual overhaul. The GTX 470 and 5870 may be a few years old but they are still pretty solid GPUs.
All in all World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor should still be possible to run for a large percentage of their regular gamers, based on the classic assumption that PC gamers usually upgrade every 3-5 years.
Now the big question, are you still playing this ancient behemoth that represents classic PC gaming and if so are you looking forward to picking up your copy of Draenor? Please share with me the highlights that everyone should be getting excited about with this expansion.