GTA 5 has been unlocked and by all accounts runs as smooth as melted butter on PC. Obviously dont try melting butter and spreading it on your PC, thats just silly. We will be exploring the levels of GTA V PC optimisation shortly. But first we wanted to report the Steam splash screen announcement on their latest Steam Update as it mentions a potential GTA 5 bug for some users downloading, installing and playing GTA V.
Rockstar explains that there is bug for some unlucky gamers to do with their chosen Windows machine username. If their Windows username happens to have certain non alpha-numeric characters in it, then GTA V installer may have issues. Here we explain how to get around it but also that Rockstar will be fixing it soon and if you can not wait for the fix you can even get a refund through Steam.
Players trying to install Grand Theft Auto V on Windows PCs may be experiencing this issue and have three options available to them at this point.
- Rockstar Games intends to have a fix for this issue soon. and you can wait for this fix.
- Customers could try the GTA V bug fix displayed below in our manual work around explanation just below.
- Finally, there is a refund feature for GTA V that will be available just until the official GTA V wiundows username bug is fixed is released.
Grand Theft Auto 5 Manual Bug Workaround
GTA V Windows Username Bug: Players with certain Windows usernames that include characters not found in the following list
Acceptable Characters for Windows Usernames for GTAV PC are:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A gamer with windows username characters different to those listed above could run into difficulties when attempting to download, install, or play GTAV due to this bug. [Note: Rockstar are currently working on a fix for this issue.]
GTA V Windows Username Bug Fix: Create a new Administrator User Account for your Windows system that only includes letters A to Z, a to z or numbers 0-9 from the basic roman alphabet. The list above shows you the characters that are acceptable. Also know that just a rename for your current Windows User Account will not correct this issue, you need to rename the Admin User Account. To do so, follow the relevant tutorial we have linked below for your operating system, from the Microsoft website:
- Windows 8/8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8
- Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7
- Windows Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-vista
We will be updating this Grand Theft Auto 5 bug fix article with timings of a fix once we are advised by Rockstar when this might happen and whether you will be able to move saved games across from the newly-created Windows username back to your original Windows user account.