If it wasnt for the glorious looking Battlefront, I feel that a lot of the EA conference would have been a wee bit pointless. But it doesnt matter because we have another taste of Battlefront, and that pleases us.
Ok, history time. The Battlefront series was originally inspired by popular total conversion mods, like First Strike or Galactic Conquest, that were springing up for various Battlefield titles. Lucas Arts then released their first Battlefront title in 2004. This years release of Star Wars Battlefront sees a reboot to the series. It replaces Battlefront III, which was cancelled when Lucas Arts was bought by Disney. Now EA DICE are controlling the SW Battlefront development, which means we get Star Wars on the Frostbite 3 Engine. Awesome!
Star Wars Battlefront Release Period: Nov 17th (or Nov 20th for UK) 2015
Platforms Star Wars Battlefront is available on: PC, Xbox One, PS4
Star Wars Battlefront full development began: 2013
Star Wars Battlefront Background: Battlefront is a massive multiplayer online first and third person shooter, set in the Star Wars Universe, built from the same mold as Battlefield 4. Its also built by EA DICE, who are the experienced devs behind the BF series.
Key Star Wars Battlefront Game Features
- Switch from 1st and 3rd person gameplay
- 12 Maps across four worlds - Hoth, Sullust, Tatooine and Endor
- Play as either Rebel Alliance soldiers or Empire Stormtroopers
- Famous non playable characters include - R2-D2 & C-3PO
- Coop mission play- can be completed with bots
- Players progress and unlock new weapons
- Players can share their unlocked weaponry with their team mates
- Players can customise their weapons, characters, gear and abilities
- Player combat vehicles include - Speeder bikes, scout walkers, Snow speeders, X wings, tie fighters and much more
- Playable hero characters include - Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Boba Fett
- Multiplayer mode supports up to 40 players
- Battlefront will NOT use Battlefields Battlelog system
- The first Battlefront DLC releases on 8th December and is called Battle of Jakku
- The first DLC is free to current owners of Battlefront
- Battle of Jakku will feature 2 maps on the planet Jakku and will tie in with the SW The Force Awakens film release
- AT-ATs move on a set path across a map and need to be brought down before they reach their goal
- AT-ATs weaponry can be used by players. They can also be used to call in orbital strikes on nearby locations
Star Wars Battlefront Game Engine
Battlefront is built on the Frostbite 3 engine. Battlefield 4 was released towards the end of 2013 and that was the first game to be developed using Frostbite 3. The Battlefront trailers we are starting to see now already look amazing and the Frostbite 3 destructive terrain, weather effects, character models, AI, ballistics are primarily developed towards games like Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront System Requirements (Speculative)
- OS: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 or Windows 8 and above
- CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Quad 3.2GHz / AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
- RAM: 8 GB System Memory
- GPU VRAM: 2GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R9 280
- HDD: 30 GB Free Hard Drive Space
- DX: DirectX 11
If you want to get a feel for the sort of benchmarks you might achieve with your rig when running Starwars Battlefront then head over to our Star Wars Battlefront system requirements page. Or you can take a look at the Battlefield 4 frame rates page, although Battlefront is likely to be a tiny bit more demanding than BF4.
Warm up your lightsabers because here is the Star Wars Battlefront E3 teaser trailer
And next we have the Battlefront COOP Trailer as well