Warhammer fantasy battle, the one with the miniature paintings, rich game lore and the millions of nerd fans. Well if you failed to notice, it's finally being paired with Creative Assembly's Total War mass battle simulator. Dubbed Total War: Warhammer, gamers everywhere will be able to see the beautiful tabletop game come to life. Oh and check this is out as no one else knows this, this is the first of 3 completely standalone Total War Warhammer titles that will be coming to PC. That's not including all the content packs that come with each one of those Total Warhammer games.
Traditionally Total War games have been set in accurately portrayed periods throughout our history. And I for one have longed for this partnership but never thought it would happen. Well let's recap on what we know so far about Total War Warhammer and we will also predict its system requirements so people can have an idea about whether or not their PCs will run Total Warhammer when it eventually arrives next year.
Total War Warhammer Release Period: Holiday 2016
Platforms Total War Warhammer is available on: PC Only!
Total War Warhammer full development began: 2013
Total War Warhammer Background: Deep and rich universe of Warhammer heralds a new era for Total War. Gigantic monsters, flying creatures, legendary heroes and storms of magical power take their place on the battlefield, alongside thousands of warriors clashing in real-time tactical battles
Key Total War Warhammer Game Features
- Total War Warhammer is the first in a trilogy of stand alone Total War games
- Each of the 3 Total War Warhammer games will also have additional content DLC packs
What we know about the first Total War Warhammer
- There will be flying mounts - We know of Griffins and Wyvern (maybe high elf phoenix)
- Monstrous units can interact with individual units. For example, a griffin can pick up an enemy orc and drop him from the sky
- Giants can pick up enemy and eat them
- There will be giant gobbo spider mounts, for the greenskins
- Dwarven cannon units
- Factions - Undead vampire, Orcs, Humans and Dwarves
- Each faction will have a primary Hero Lord character. Which is a legendary hero
- Grimgore Ironhide Black Orc is a confirmed Legendary hero
- Karl Franz griffin rider will be the Legendary hero for the humans
- Normal TW diplomacy will have some constraints due to the expected natural faction alignments. Humans wont ally with undead for example
- Weather - no seasons, no weather, no turns. This was based on a strange official quote. Not sure what it means yet
- Heroes are basically agents. They can be bundled with an army
- Examples of heroes are - Witch Hunters, Warrior priests, Shaman and Wizards
- They will fight with an army unit on a battlefield as an army general character
- Heroes can also perform actions in the turn based world view, like agents from previous TW games
- Heroes will have a "massively deep skill tree". Deeper than ever before, to help you get into the character and narrative of these heroes
- The story arc is likely to include the Demon Lord of Change, a greater demon of the Chaos God Tzeentch (Changer of the Ways)
- Note that CA have used the tag line "Our rules have changed", as a nice easter egg
Total War Warhammer Game Engine
Total War Warhammer is built on Creative Assembly's newish Warscape engine. It was used for Rome 2, which launched with a number of bugs. But since then CA tightened up the engine and by the time they released Total War: Attila, the engine was pretty much stable. This engine is constantly improved upon by the team and the visual improvement between Rome 2 and Attila was evident. However this means that the system requirements for Total War Warhammer will be pretty high, but worth it.
Total War Warhammer System Requirements (Speculative)
- OS: Windows 7 or Windows 8 and above - 64bit
- CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9GHz / AMD Phenom II X6 1065T
- RAM: 8 GB System Memory
- GPU VRAM: 2GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 270
- HD: 45 GB Free Hard Drive Space (speculative download size)
- DX: DirectX 11
When Total War Rome 2 released in Sept 2013, a lot of PCs found it hard to run. Then when the revamped Total War Attila released at the beginning of this year a lot of PCs found it hard to run.
A possible Total War Warhammer world map, based on faction information currently provided
Click the image below to expand. Here we can see a number of silhouettes of unannounced troops in the Creative Assembly developers right hand monitor. There is a phoenix, belonging to the high elves.
Below you can see a sense of scale between some of the monstrous units
Black orcs get larger the longer they spend in harsher environments. The Legendary Hero orc Grimgore Ironhide became enormous as he defeated enemy after enemy. All the orcs around him would also grow to try and keep up with him. Will this be a buff that translates into the Total Warhammer orc faction? If Grimgore is in an army then his Black Orcs could get physically larger as they gain veterancy and experience. Definitely a feature I would enjoy in the final Total War Warhammer.
Here is the Announcement TW Warhammer Trailer
There is so much that can go right with Total Warhammer that I am having a nerdgasm. So rest assured we will be watching this title with some keen interest.
Who else likes both franchises, Total War and Warhammer? Which of Warhammer Fantasy's unique differences would you like to see make it into Total Warhammer, like Grimgore's ever-increasing size?