An arena shooter lives and dies by the quality of its maps. You only have to look at Unreal Tournament’s Facing Worlds or Quake II’s Tokay’s Towers to see the enduring appeal of a pixel perfect layout. Id Software has revealed a new trailer exploring all of the maps coming to the imminent DOOM reboot; could there be more classics lurking in there somewhere?
The bad news is DOOM will ship with just nine multiplayer maps. That’s not a great deal, but provided they’re all as “epic” as id claim then we should be sorted. That’s not to forget DOOM’s SnapMap feature either, which allows even total amateurs like myself to stitch together new map layouts and share them online. The chief concern is that the basic building blocks equates to generic looking levels.
You can see in video as well that each of that maps is filled with environmentally hazards you’ll have to keep an eye out for as you rocket jump about. There’s poisonous goo, lava pits, and plasma to look out for, along with classic arena shooter jump pads, teleporters, and pick ups. Gibletty goodness all around.
- Excavation - A modest-sized UAC mining outpost. Watch out for the rock grinder!
- Infernal - A mid-sized Hell map with both interior and exterior elements. Lots of platforms and chasms, along with teleporters.
- Chasm - This massive map takes you deep below the polar ice caps of Mars. A great place to play Freeze Tag.
- Disposal - This smaller map is the main waste processing facility for the UAC research and residential complexes. Unsurprisingly, it's full of radioactive slime.
- Helix - This is where they experiment on demons and develop advanced weaponry. Which, naturally, makes it perfect for a quick round of Clan Arena.
- Perdition - Disjointed and sadistic, this ancient arena is populated by the agonized moans of unfortunate souls who have suffered within its realm.
- Sacrilegious - Set within a fracture of Hell, this map offers clear lines of sight. Move fast... or die faster.
- Heatwave - An industrial UAC facility with glistening halls that will soon be slicked with human (and demon) blood.
- Beneath - Before being beamed to Earth, the energies of Hell are harnessed in this symmetrical and cavernous location.
DOOM is coming to instagib you on May 13th for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.