The Rainbow Six Siege Velvet Shell Mid-Season Reinforcements are rolling out today, which can usually only mean one thing - big changes. In truth this update isn’t quite as comprehensive as we’ve had previously, however Russian sniper Glaz has received some serious loving from Ubisoft.
Glaz is a powerful tool when used at distance, yet despite his recently upped fire rate and lower recoil, he’s still pretty much screwed in a one on one fight indoors. As part of the Mid Season Reinforcements, Glaz’s Flip Sight is being kitted out with thermal vision. This doesn’t work through walls, however it does work through smoke screens. I’ll have to give it a go tonight but I’m assuming this is an absolutely lethal bit of kit in the right hands. If it’s Glaz v 1 or 2 defenders holed up in the objected, throwing in three smokes could make Glaz an impossible target. You’re essentially raiding a room with your opponents blindfolded.
The other changes are a bit on the minor side. Doc now overheals to 140 with his stim gun after Ubisoft realised 120 was basically useless in any practical sense. I would presume even at 140 that someone would still go down with a single headshot however.
Buck’s Skeleton Key shotgun is also going to be receiving an extra magazine of ammunition. This should allow Buck to be a little bit more relaxed in what sightlines to open up and walls to breach.
Thermite fans should be pleased to know that his 556XI assault rifle’s recoil has been tweaked and should now be easier to control, as has Capitao's PARA-308. I’ve always found the 556XI a (very loud) beast anyway, so Thermite should now be a fearsome opponent. One last big highlight is that Caveira’s Luison pistol damage has been modified. Previously the damage went from 70 at 7 metres to 20 at 18 meters. It’s now 70 at 7 metres and 35 at 18 metres. I wouldn’t have called Caveira underpowered in the first place, so it’s going to be interesting to see just how dominant she becomes with this change.
Naturally it's not buffs all around. Jackal's C7E rifle is being made harder to control after players discovered it had basically no downsides. Also, all Marksman Rifle's trigger rates have been lowered to prevent excessive rapid firing. Those with quick trigger figures were able to turn a DMR into a fully automatic assault rifle. This effect has now been toned down.
Rainbow Six Siege Velvet Shell Mid Season Reinforcements Bug Fixes
- FIXED – There is an exploit that results in Ranked games awarding 0-5 MMR after a win.
- FIXED – Hit registration and kill cam show a headshot without the proper bonus point with a neck shot.
- FIXED – The player cannot detonate a Nitro Cell if they are put in a DBNO state while holding it and then revived.
- FIXED – Weapons will become invisible when the revive animation of a player or hostage is interrupted.
- FIXED – The feedback for cooking a Frag Grenade is not replicated in support mode.
- FIXED – The camera clips through an Operator when they go down stairs while in prone.
- FIXED – The compass does not move, or shows the wrong direction, while the player is rappelling.
- FIXED – Crouching under a deployable shield while it is being placed will allow the character to sometimes clip through it.
- FIXED – The smoke grenade effect passes through floors.
GAME MODE FIXES
- FIXED – In some cases, playing placement ranked matches do not count towards total placement matched needed to obtain a rank.
- FIXED – Jackal will sometimes not activate a Nitro Cell when walking near it.
- FIXED – Extraction animation played at a specific point causes AI to remain stuck running in place.
- FIXED – Shields are not protecting Operators from explosive damage.
- FIXED – Blitz has spent additional time at the range, thus reducing the draw time on his weapon after triggering his Shield Flash. There is no longer a 2 seconds delay before Blitz can fire his weapon.
- FIXED – Frost is unable to place her traps near a window.
- FIXED – When hit by a Yokai sonic burst, the camera mode can't be used for the duration of the disorientation effect.
- FIXED – The Yokai drone resets its initial camera direction every time Echo accesses it.
- FIXED – The Yokai drone will sometimes experience the wrong collision detection when it is sticking to the ceiling and will result in a "losing signal" error.
- FIXED – Breaking reinforcement panels placed around indestructible pillar will leave gaps between the wall and reinforcement.
- FIXED – The One Way Mirror plant event is triggered twice, making the sound too loud.
- FIXED – Sometimes Mira cannot place Reinforcements next to the One Way Mirror.
- FIXED – The frame of the One Way Mirror switches to the place where the second Mirror is being deployed for a player who has joined in progress.
- FIXED – Breach Charges and Exothermic Charges are not destroyed if a One Way Mirror is placed on the opposite side of the same wall.
- FIXED – Sledge's model is corrupt during gameplay when viewed by other players.
- FIXED – It is possible to shoot Montagne's pistol with his shield extended while doing a specific action.
LEVEL DESIGN FIXES
- FIXED – Destruction on the ceiling of the Piano Room above the fire place can only be seen from one direction.
- FIXED – Players can clip through the 1F Dining Room outside door and can be killed by enemies.
- FIXED – A player will get stuck in a wall when entering from rappel in 1F Dining Room.
- FIXED – Defenders are able to clip into the outside shed by vaulting over a deployable shield.
- FIXED – Objects on shelves disappear and deform upon LOD drop.
USER EXPERIENCE FIXES
- FIXED – The Square button on PS4 loses functionality on the highlighted items on the Shop tab if the user tries to buy with square button and returns.
- FIXED – The screen remains in continuous loading when accessing the Ubisoft Club Challenges in-game and in the Uplay client.
- FIXED – Full screen mode on a customization item can only be accessed once per item.
- FIXED – Certain charms contain placeholder icons.
- FIXED – Some Operators have lower resolution texture in their headgear pictures and in the character model preview mode. (This is an ongoing process, and additional Operators will be touched on in future updates.)
You can read the full Velvet Shell Mid Season Reinforcements patch notes over on the official site.
In addition to this update, Ubisoft has also said it’s deploying a Technical Test Server for those wanting to test future updates before they’re live. This includes One-Step Matchmaking, which leaves players on the main menu while they’re searching for match, rather than being stuck on the matchmaking screen.
Servers on all three platforms should go down today as the update is rolled out. Pleased by the changes to Glaz? Good to see Thermite get some loving? Let us know your thoughts!