I don’t know what it is about Rainbow Six Siege patch notes that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, but Ubisoft has duly obliged my urges with the reveal of its Operation White Noise - Mid-Season Reinforcements.
As ever the changes are pretty far-reaching in terms of Siege’s meta, with Ubisoft buffing and nerfing various Operators in order to provide better game balance.
The first loser on this front is Ela. As it currently stands she’s an absolute machine. Her concussion mines are a powerful method of slowing down attacking players, as well as acting as handy alarm systems, while her SMG is ridiculously accurate, has a high-fire rate, and a 50 bullet clip. Ubisoft has found Ela is picked almost all the time, and with good reason. As a result of Rainbow Six Siege Patch 4.2, Ela’s Scorpion SMG magazine has now been lowered from 50 to 40 bullets. In theory, this weakens her ability to clear out entire rooms of enemies with a single clip.
In addition to the reduced clip size, the concussion effects from Ela’s Grzmot mines have also been reduced. They’ll still reduce movement speed but sprint will no longer be disabled, while the movement slow down will now only last 4 seconds, compare to 7 seconds previously. The blurry vision and loss of hearing will still last 7 seconds. This same change also applies to Zofia’s stun grenades. In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think these changes go quite far enough, and Ela is sure to still be a must pick. Her Scorpion SMG is just incredible regardless of the reduced clip size. Most firefights will be over long before 40 bullets have been fired anyway.
The second major nerf is Twitch’s Shock Drone, reducing the ammo for each of the two Shock Drones from 15 down to 5. This is an odd one as I’ve never really encountered players who’ve considered Twitch OP. Compared to Thatcher’s EMP grenades the Shock Drone is a risky method for taking out enemy electronics, and it’s a pretty simple process for Defenders to spot and destroy a roving Shock Drone. If a defending team is letting Twitch use 15 shocks then they’re doing something seriously wrong. Regardless, Ubisoft believes it makes her too strong, choosing instead to slash the ammo available.
Ash’s R4-C rifle is also being nerfed. Anyone who’s used Ash will be aware her automatic rifle is an absolute beauty, and it’s easy to see why Ubisoft may want to tone down its abilities somewhat. The change is fairly minor, dropping the damage from 41 down to 39. As with Ela, it’s not a major change, although it could be enough to have a slight impact on pick rates.
The final nerf is Bandit’s barbed wired. He’ll now have two available rather than the previous three. For high-end player barbed wire is a very powerful tool, much more so than shields, and this prevents Bandit from having the drop on players coming from three directions at once.
And now for the buffs, with Lesion and Capitao the two to benefit. Lesion’s Gu Mine timer now refills in 30 seconds rather than 35, meaning all of the mines can be dropped with around a minute still left to play. It provides a greater incentive for Lesion to stay alive as long as possible, as well as additional time to hole up and slow down enemy attacks. Lastly, Capitao’s Para-308 assault rifle has increased in stopping power from 43 to 48, along with a reduction in recoil. This should make him a more attractive pick, even if his unique crossbow ability is still hugely underutilised.
As for all other assorted bug fixes that get rolled into the update, here are the full patch notes:
Rainbow Six Siege Operation White Noise Mid-Season Reinforcements Patch 4.2 Bug Fixes
- FIXED – Shield exploit that involves Deployable Shields being held in front of an Operator.
- FIXED – Attack Operators can appear as a 2D texture when approaching broken walls while holding the hostage.
- FIXED – Certain operator weapons produce extremely bright smoke and can obscure the view of the players.
- FIXED – Zofia dies after using Withstand when a match has a Handicap of 75 or less Damage.
- FIXED – Bombers do not always spawn during a Terrorist Hunt Classic on Tower map.
- FIXED – Last three enemies of a wave will get stuck behind the reversed table in 2F Meeting room.
- FIXED – Switching to Dokkaebi on support mode during her gadget animation will show her gadget screen empty.
- FIXED – Dokkaebi loses functionality, and a broken animation is present if Dokkaebi gets into DBNO state while hacking the camera system.
- FIXED – No warning appears when Dokkaebi is out of Logic Bomb uses and tries to activate it.
- FIXED – When in ADS, you do not need to hold the appropriate key to use Logic Bomb.
- FIXED – Yokai is stuck and has framed camera rotation rate on uneven terrain/debris.
- FIXED – The drones including Yokai have issues smoothly turning when navigating on certain destructible surfaces.
- FIXED – The Yokai drone loses signal in multiple places on Tower.
- FIXED – Echo drone can stick to the canister under Mira’s Black Mirror.
- FIXED – Zofia's LMG-E should have 150 bullets instead of 151.
- FIXED – Users can extend the bleed out timer by spamming Withstand.
- FIXED – Ying's Candela will not go through the Ramps of 3F Watchtower of Oregon.
- FIXED – Players can prone between objects at 1F Trophy Room and be pushed inside the wall or outside at EXT Campfire Wood.
- FIXED – Nitro cells do not inflict damage if detonated on the plants from 1F Great Room.
- FIXED – Defenders in Prone stance in one corner of 1F Dining Room are not contesting the objective.
- FIXED – Bullets pass through the desk located at CCTV room.
- FIXED – Player can be stuck inside a wall if they use the vault prompt on beer cases.
- FIXED – Castle’s double door Armor Panels do not cover the entire frame.
- FIXED – Player can vault in a specific location to get on a window frame.
- FIXED – There are lights on the side of the tower, which can block an Attacker's rappel trajectory.
- FIXED – Due to a missing texture, players can exploit an area using drones and kill enemies.
- FIXED – Attackers can plant the Defuser from outside the objective at Ext Main Entrance.
- FIXED – Attackers can place a drone inside the barricaded window of EXT Sweet Shops.
- FIXED – Vault prompt is missing on the rooftop of the building.
- FIXED – Too much smoke appears when shooting with some weapons.
- FIXED – Installing the latest graphics driver for AMD will cause a crash when explosives are triggered.
- FIXED – Concussion and Sonic Burst effect applies to replays if applied after the start of replay.