If you’re eager to take a shot at PUBG’s new, smaller, faster-paced ‘Savage’ map, now might be your chance. The mini-sized ‘Savage’ map is open right now on the Closed Experimental Server until tomorrow evening, with widespread changes implemented since it was first playable a couple of weeks ago. Access is restricted to those who have keys, and keys are limited, but you can still try and grab one for yourself here.
Codename: Savage Testing Window
- Opens: Mon, April 16, 6pm PDT / Tues, April 17, 3am CEST / April 17, 10am KST
- Closes: Wed, April 18, 6pm PDT / Tues, April 19, 3am CEST / April 19, 10am KST
While Brendan ‘PlayerUnknown’ Greene’s been busy publicly defending PUBG’s controversial red zone, that hasn’t prevented PUBG Corp from reducing its influence on the Codename: Savage map with this update. The red zone is a marked area that appears on the map that will be bombed from above with a strong chance of killing any players who aren’t in a solid structure. “And people say there’s no reason to it but it provides audio cover, it really looks cool when you’re fighting in it,” said Greene to Eurogamer. ”And really, you shouldn’t be dying to the red zone. If you’re dying to the red zone then, I’m sorry but you’re not a very good player.” Get gud sounds like the general summation there, but despite his love affair with the red zone, this update reduces both its size and its duration.
Along with this change, a new feature for the blue zone allows the waiting time before it moves in to be adjusted automatically depending on how many players are still left alive. Presumably, if a lot of players meet their maker early, the blue zone will move in at a faster rate in order to bring the remaining players together.
Three new areas have also been added to Savage, adding a little environmental and gameplay variety to the already hectic map. In the middle of the island, there’s now an Abandoned Barry and Banyon grove, while the southeast side of the island will now be populated by a shipping dock.
PUBG corp has said it’s using these rapid-fire test phases to fine-tune Codename: Savage, although a proper launch is still a few more months away.
Anyway, here’s the full patch notes for Codename: Savage, my highlight of which is probably “Known Issue: Sometimes other players appear as zombies.” Easy mistake to make.
Codename: Savage Patch Notes
- The red zone's size and duration have both been decreased.
- A new feature enables the blue zone to calculate and adjust its waiting time based on the number of players left alive.
- Grenades now spawn more often.
- The strongest scope which can be obtained from care packages is now the 8x scope.
- Total numbers of boats spawned has been decreased, but boats now spawn more predictably along the towns near the sea.
- Three new areas have been added:
- Banyan Grove, middle of the island
- Abandoned Quarry, middle of the island
- Dock, southeast side of the island
- Improved object placement on bridges to better facilitate movement.
- Improved the surrounding terrain to make it easier to climb up to the land from the river.
- Some hard-to-see doors are now more visible (less dark).
- Dynamic weather now changes in real time throughout each match (it used to change just once during each match).
- Wet ground now looks less shiny.
- Improved issue of hearing footsteps late or from incorrect locations.
- Rain sounds have been slightly increased
- A seaside ambient sound effect has now been implemented.
- An inland swamp ambient sound effect has now been implemented.
- Minimap grid marking has been adjusted to match the smaller map size.
- We improved an issue causing the blood effect to block the player's sight after getting hit in FPP mode.
- We fixed an issue causing boats to not consume gas while driving.
- We fixed an issue causing Savage's world map and minimap to look blurry.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented players from moving immediately after using the item quantity pop up menu.
- We fixed an issue causing the minimap to show as blank when viewing the Death Cam.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused players to take no damage when exiting a moving vehicle.
- Killer Spectating mode now works properly even when the killer died shortly after killing the viewing player.
- The camera should now function properly after players are knocked out by fall damage.
- We fixed an issue causing the blood effect to not up properly when shooting other players.
Known Issues (Investigating)
- Sometimes in FPP, if the player was vaulting at the time when the game starts, the player doesn't get on board in the plane and instead flies straight to the final destination of the plane. (LOL)
- Sometimes other players appear as zombies.