The Fortnite money train keeps on rolling with the announcement of one of the biggest cross-marketing campaigns in recent times - Avengers: Infinity War’s Thanos has come to Fortnite. It’s the basically the collision of two of the biggest cultural touchstones on the planet right now, and it’s a move practically designed to print money.
Thanos will be cropping up in Fortnite for a limited time as part of the new Infinity Gauntlet mode. In this mode, a single Infinity Gauntlet will drop via a meteor into the safe zone. Pick it up and a player will transform into Thanos. Die and the Gauntlet will fall onto the ground as the ultimate reward for downing Thanos. Aside from this, it’s business as usual. 100 players drop onto an island and the last player standing is the winner.
Naturally, Thanos has a number of unique abilities that make it worth painting a supervillain-shaped target on yourself. He’s got a mega punch to knock enemies back and destroy structures; a massive floor slam that can be activated from great heights; he uses the Power stone to fire a constant blast of energy fire, and he’s also got a super jump that can be used to leap incredible heights. Just like other players, Thanos has up to 100 shield and 100 health, but when he kills a player his shields regeneration. He takes no fall damage and he cannot build, so he can be outwitted by more capable players.
The Fortnite Infinity Wars tie-in is a limited time event that’s playable right now. From the looks of things, there’s going to be no Marvel skins, sadly, but the new mode certainly sounds like it’s worth a shot if you can be one of the lucky few to pick up the Infinity Gauntlet. I can scarcely think of a better way to hook in the Marvel fanboys. It tallies up nicely with Jon’s piece this weekend arguing that Fortnite is a Pioneering Example of Games as a Service Done Right.
Fortnite V4.1 Patch Notes
LIMITED TIME MASHUP: INFINITY GAUNTLET
- Take down Thanos, equip the Gauntlet and claim Victory!
- Mashup Details
- Early in the match, a meteor will land in the storm safe zone, delivering the Infinity Gauntlet.
- Any player who uses the Infinity Gauntlet will transform into Thanos.
- If Thanos is eliminated, the Gauntlet will fall to the ground, free for the taking. If it sits unused for too long, it will disappear until another meteor appears.
- Last player standing will be the victor!
- Thanos Details
- Ability 1 - A mighty punch that knocks enemies back and destroys structures.
- Ability 2 - Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
- Ability 3 - Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
- Ability 4 - A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
- Thanos has both shields and health. When he eliminates another player, his shields regenerate. His health never regenerates.
- Thanos doesn't take fall damage.
- Thanos does not build, use weapons or things like launch pads. He has no need for such petty human devices.
- Storm + Map
- Maximum match length is roughly 15 minutes.
- The match will start with the storm circle already closing in over the island.
- The storm does more damage than normal, ticking for 5% health during the first circle and 10% for the rest of the game.
- Only Rare, Epic & Legendary weapons will be spawned.
- Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70% to 80-90%.
- Increased chances of ammo boxes spawning from 65-80% to 85-95%.
- Floor Loot spawns nearly 100% of the time.
- Launchpad spawn likelihood greatly increased.
- Harvesting resources doubled.
- Resources found in loot increased from 30 to 60.
- Chug Jug, Port-A-Fort, Boogie Bomb, Slurp Juice, Bush, and Remote Explosives drop rate increased.
- Regular Grenade, Shield & Bandage drop rate lowered.
- Increased the likelihood of the final circle ending near the outer areas of the map by 25%.
- Improve the variety of ending scenarios to outside the central region of the map.
- Fixed an issue that allowed Sprays to camouflage Remote Explosives, Clingers, and Damage Traps.
- Fixed building preview not being rotatable when overlapping an existing building while using a controller.
- Fixed soccer game effects not playing when scoring ⚽.
- Fixed a couple of issues that caused the player camera to position itself under the water in Loot Lake.
- Fixed the collision on the tire stacks so players will bounce when walking into them again.
- Fixed a hole in Dusty Divot that players could get stuck in.
- Fixed an area where players were able to hide under the terrain and damage players from below.
- Fixed an issue that caused Turbo Building to not work properly if the player was holding down the build button before switching to build mode.
- Fixed a chest at the prison that would be empty upon opening it.
- You can now join the party of players that are already in a match.
- Party members in-match will appear holographic in the lobby and will give you time and player count updates.
- Season 4 topics added to the in-game Battle Pass FAQ.
- Removed the loading screen that was displayed when transitioning from the starting island to the Battle Bus.
- Fixed the minimap briefly showing the wrong location after being eliminated.
- Fixed an issue that caused some icons on the UI to misalign after switching in and out of build mode.
- Lowered the volume of Hop Rocks