I basically live for football and videogames, so any excuse I can think of to crowbar the two together is a victory in my book. Which has led to this - the GD Gaming World Cup 2018.
The concept is fairly simple. We've picked what we think are the 32 most anticipated videogames in the world right now, and we’ve slotted them in as the replacements for the 32 actual nations competing in the FIFA World Cup. These games will then square off against each other one on one, with you voting for your most anticipated game of 2018 and beyond.
GD Gaming World Cup Rules
- Each ‘match’ is 1v1.
- Each game will have three matches in the group stages.
- You vote for your most anticipated game out of the two in each match.
- Every 50 votes is a goal.
- If two games score the same number of goals, it’s a draw.
- In the event of a draw in the knockout stages, the game with the most votes wins the penalty shootout and heads through.
- It’s 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a defeat.
- The top two teams from each group head to the knockout stages.
- Each match-up will take place on the same day as the corresponding real World Cup 2018 fixtures.
The idea is that at the end of it, we’ve got the most anticipated game among all GD members, which is therefore crowned the champion.
Just to help you keep track of it all, the full spreadsheet of tables, fixtures and videogames can be viewed via the link below:
Just to sweeten the deal somewhat, we’ll also be hosting a giveaway. The winner of our competition can choose one of three prizes: a PS4 Pro, $300 Steam credit, or a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. It's a competition for the GD community only, so the prize will only go to a GD member. This is football, Game-Debate style!
Okay, onto day one. In real life, it’s Russia v Saudi Arabia to kick the World Cup off. We’ve got something even grander. It’s Assassin’s Creed Odyssey v Red Dead Redemption 2. Take that, Cheryshev.
Match Day 1: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey v Red Dead Redemption 2 - Group A
For our first fixture of the tournament, two of the biggest games of the holiday season square up against one another. Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2 launch within three weeks of one another, both offering massive, historical open-worlds to explore, each packed with quests and things to do.
Red Dead 2 has the online element providing it a strong attack, but Assassin's Creed Odyssey's sheer breadth of content could help it overload the midfield and control the game.
It's game on - get your votes in below. For every 50 votes a game gets, it scores a goal.
The winner will take home all three points, and we'll be back tomorrow with three new fixtures. *toots whistle*
This is a blind vote, results will be shared tomorrow!