Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is currently operating in some strange sphere where it’s out but it’s not the finished article yet, particularly in the regards to its Battle Royale-style Blackout mode. Treyarch continues to roll out patches at a steady clip as it addresses fan issues, with the latest COD BLOPS 4 shunting the COD: Black Ops 4 - Blackout duos player count from 88 up to a nice round 100.
It’s not all good news though. While the duos player count goes up, the quads player count is actually decreasing from 100 to 88. It’s a bit of a role reversal as Treyarch/Beenox continue to investigate any potential latency or stability issues with the 100-player mode. At least this should mean squad wins are a little more achievable, reducing the total number of teams competing from 25 down to 22.
The rest of the changes in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s Oct. 16 update aren’t quite as interesting, although there are a whole bunch of stability improvements for PC players. This fixes some wide-ranging crash issues such as during an initial boot, when disconnecting from a Blackout match, when browsing items, or when changing texture quality. Basically, COD: Black Ops 4 crashes a lot, and this patch should mean it does it a whole lot less.
- General stability improvements and crash fixes.
- The Featured playlist tiles for Multiplayer and Blackout have changed. This is part of the regular rotation of Featured playlists – more details to come on how Featured playlists will work in Black Ops 4 in a separate update.
- 100-Players Duos is now the Featured playlist for Blackout.
- Quads playlist is now 88 maximum players. We’re continuing to update various game settings to ensure the best experience for all players across all platforms and modes.
- TDM playlist now supports parties of 6 (was previously 5).
- Featured playlist changed to Heist.
- Custom Search and Destroy games will now correctly conclude after one team wins 6 rounds total, fixing an issue where custom games previously ended at round 7.
- Addressed a crash caused by earning multiple Medals in a match.
- Addressed a UI error caused by losing Internet connection in split screen.
- Addressed an issue that caused Hellhounds to exhibit some very… un-doglike behavior.
- “Object View Distance” setting now properly renders objects further on “High” than on “Low” in Blackout.
Stability improvements (PC)
- Fixed a crash occurring during initial boot of the game for some users.
- Fixed a crash when disconnecting from a Blackout match.
- Fixed a crash occurring when multiple windows were broken simultaneously in a Blackout match.
- Fixed a crash when browsing unlockable Items.
- Fixed crashes occurring when changing texture quality.
- Improved handling of “Out of Memory” errors.