The Resident Evil 2 / Biohazard RE:2 demo went live at the weekend, giving PC players the opportunity to go hands-on with this total remake of one of the most beloved survival horror games of all time. This means the graphics options for Resident Evil 2 on PC are now out in the wild and Capcom looks as if it's provided comprehensive support for the PC version.
Resident Evil 2 Remake Video Settings
- HDR Mode - On/Off
- Display Area
- Reticule Colour
- Dot Sight
- Tutorials - On/Off
- HUD - On/Off
- Colour Space
- Presets - Recommended/Max/Graphics Priority/Balanced/Performance Priority
- Graphics API - DirectX 11 / DirectX 12
- Display Mode
- Rendering Mode - Normal / Interlaced
- Image Quality (Resolution scale) - 50%-200%
- Refresh Rate
- Frame Frate - 30/60/Variable
Resident Evil 2 Remake Graphics Options
- Antialiasing - Off/FXAA/TAA/FXAA + TAA/SMAA
- Texture Quality - Low/Medium/High
- Texture Filter Quality - Bilinear/Trilinear/Anisotropic Filtering 2x/4x/8x/16x
- Mesh Quality - Low/Medium/High/Max
- Shadow Quality - Min/Low/Medium/High/Max
- Shadow Cache - Off/On
- Contact Shadows - Off/On
- Screen Space Reflections - Off/On
- Subsurface Scattering - Off/On
- Volumetric Lighting Quality - Off/Low/Medium/High
- Particle Lighting Quality - Low/High
- Ambient Occlusion - Off/SSAO Limited/SSAO Full/HDAO/HBAO+
- Bloom - Off/On
- Lens Flare - Off/On
- Motion Blur - Off/On
- Depth of Field - Off/On
- Lens Distortion - Off/On/On with Chromatic Aberration
- Film Noise - Off/On
Fans of Resident Evil 7 will be in instantly familiar territory. While Capcom has jumbled up the order, the graphics settings for Resident Evil 2 Remake are basically the exact same graphics settings present in RE7. RE2 Remake runs on the same RE Engine as well, giving us a prime indicator of how we can expect the launch version of Resident Evil 2 to run.
In terms of what's on offer here, Capcom has once again provided a fantastic set of graphics options to tweak in Resident Evil 2 Remake. PC players will be able to fine-tune performance to their heart's content, with dozens of potential FPS/visual trade-offs. We will also have our graphics options performance breakdown with you shortly if you're keen to know which graphical effects in RE2 are the most demanding.
The only potential for disappointment here comes in the limited antialiasing options. None of the implementations of AA in RE2 are particularly great, all of them muddying the image through some quite intense blurring techniques, despite doing a great job at removing the jagged edges.
Look out for plenty more on Resident Evil 2 shortly, and remember the PC demo is out now on Steam if you want to give it a shot yourself.
Resident Evil 2 Remake comes to PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 25th.