New games don’t appear to be particularly high on the agenda for Konami, although it continues to mine its past glories before it earned its soiled reputation. Konami has announced the Konami 50th Anniversary Collection for PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch, a collection of games celebrating Konami’s long and storied history.
The Japanese publisher celebrates its 50th birthday tomorrow, March 21st, and has marked this fairly momentous occasion with three digital-only collections of games - Konami Anniversary Collection: Arcade Classics, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, and Contra Anniversary Collection.
Konami Arcade Classics is first up, launching on April 18th priced at $19.99 with a bundle of the arcade games from the ’80s that earned Konami its once-imperious reputation. The full list of 80’s arcade classics includes the following:
- Haunted Castle (1998)
- Typhoon (A-JAX) (1987)
- Nemesis (Gradius) (1985)
- Vulcan Venture (Gradius II) (1988)
- Life Force (Salamander) (1986)
- Thunder Cross (1988)
- Scramble (1981)
- TwinBee (1985, Japan-exclusive)
Following this up will be the Castlevania Anniversary Collection. This will also feature a grand total of eight games, this time all from the Castlevania series.
- Castlevania (1987, NES)
- Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (1990, NES)
- Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (1991, Game Boy)
- Super Castlevania IV (SNES, 1991)
Konami’s keeping schtum about the final four games in this package, although if we had to guess it would probably look something like this:
- Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (1993, PC Engine CD)
- Castlevania: Bloodlines (1994, Genesis)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997, PlayStation)
- Castlevania Legends (1997, Game Boy)
All substantiated of course, but they fit the bill and would also make for a pretty great pre-modern era Castlevania collection.
The final collection is the Contra Anniversary Collection. This promises to bring together a comprehensive set of the run-and-gun platformer, stretching from 1987’s Contra arcade game up to more recent outings.
- Contra (1987, Arcade)
- Super Contra (1988, Arcade)
- Super C (1990, NES)
- Contra III: The Alien Wars (1992, SNES)
The Castlevania and Contra collections are both due out in early summer.