Nvidia’s just released its latest GeForce Game ready 425.31 WHQL graphics card driver and it’s a big one for GeForce GTX 10 and 16 Series owners in particular. The headline addition is undoubtedly the enabling of DXR (DirectX Raytracing) on both families of graphics cards, opening the door to raytracing on non-RTX GPUs.
All Nvidia GeForce graphics cards from the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB upwards can now enable DXR raytracing and sample some basic ray-tracing effects in any supported titles. The pickings are still slim, but DXR-compatible titles out now include Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, and Battlefield V. The performance won’t be anywhere near what you can expect from the RTX GPUs and their RT Cores, but it’s something at least.
And the other big addition for the GeForce 425.31 WHQL driver is Game Ready driver support for the upcoming Anno 1800. Ubisoft’s management and strategy title is now a Uplay and Epic Store exclusive but if you’re after the best possible performance on GeForce graphics card, this is the driver you’re going to need.
Before you hammer that download button though, you’d do well to take a cursory glance over some of the known and fixed issues with the GeForce 425.31 driver. Game-specific issues are limited to just Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which may slow down or crash when Ansel is activated. Aside from this, look out for flickering on multi-monitor displays. I’m running two monitors and installed this update and it seems fine, but your results may vary.
Fixed Issues in Version 425.31 WHQL
- [SLI][Adobe]: With SLI enabled, artifacts may appear in Adobe applications.
- [ARK Survival Evolved]: Fixed random crashes on GeForce RTX 20 series GPUs.
- [Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands]: The game crashes when accessing the inventory menu.
- [The Witcher 3]: Blue-screen crash occurs randomly with Bad Pool error during gameplay.
- [The Evil Within 2]: Artifacts appear when Texture Filtering is set to High Quality in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- [Fabfilter plugins]: Applications crash when using the Fabfilter plugin.
- [ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS notebooks]: Fixed corrupted graphics in games on ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS notebooks.
- [Titan X][GTA V][Stereo]: With Stereo enabled, OUT of Memory message appears when launching the application.
Open Issues in Version 425.31 WHQL
- [Surround][G-SYNC][Pascal GPU]: G-SYNC does not engage when using Surround resolution.
- [NVIDIA Control Panel]: When the 3D Settings page->Vertical Sync setting is set to Adaptive-Sync (half refresh rate), V-Sync works only at the native refresh rate after rebooting the system.
- [Shadow of the Tomb Raider][Ansel]: Invoking Ansel in the game causes the game to slow down or crash.
- Random desktop flicker occurs on some multi-display PCs.
- The desktop on the primary monitor flickers when playing videos on the secondary monitor.
The latest GeForce driver can be downloaded from here, or you can just do an auto-update through your current GeForce Experience installation.