As is customary with Total War these days, Creative Assembly has taken its gloves and delivered a blood-splattered new DLC for Total War: Three Kingdoms.
The aptly named ‘Reign of Blood’ Effects Pack for TW:3K adds the option for ultra-violent battlefields, complete with a number of new gory and mature-rated animations and effects. You name it and your soldiers can probably slice it off. Reign of Blood’s got arm chopping, decapitation, blunt force trauma, dead bodies littering the battlefield, and everything in-between. There’s even a blood scaler, so you can raise or lower the gore to suit your, ahem, tastes.
- New campaign event-pictures depicting blood and gore
- New blood effects for battle-resolution combat animations between characters
- Human dismemberment: limb-lops and beheadings
- Equine dismemberment: leg lops
- Charred bodies
- Blood sprays on weapon impacts
- New death animations for characters vs infantry
- Dead bodies as battlefield set-dressing
- Blood scaler: increase or decrease the level of gore to your tastes
Sadly, Total War: Three Kingdom’s Reign of Blood Effects Pack dies come with a token cost of £1.99, $2.99, €2.99. If you’re wondering why it’s not included in the base game, well, it raises the age rating up to 18 and over. Making it DLC ensure it’s a separate product, allowing the base game to sneak through with a 16 and over rating. Simple.
Total War: Three Kingdom’s Reign of Blood is out on June 27th.
Be sure to check out our TW3K review if you're still on the fence as to whether to pick it up.