Guerrilla Games are still hard at work fixing and optimizing the PC port of Horizon Zero Dawn, which is quite the dedication this long after launch. Update 1.08 is out now for HZD along with the official release on GOG, and it fixes some crash issues and performance improvements as well as adding cloud saves and achievements to the Epic Games Store version.
“With Patch 1.08, we are also introducing an update to our Epic SDK, adding features such as Cloud Saves and Achievements!” However, Guerrilla Games noted that unfortunately achievements will not unlock retroactively, which means players will have to restart their playthrough of Horizon: Zero Dawn in order to unlock them.
With that said, let’s take a look at the Update 1.08 patch notes and known issues…
Horizon Zero Dawn update 1.06 Patch notes:
- Fixed an audio crash when using mono audio devices
- Fixed a crash that could happen in certain circumstances on 5.1 audio devices
- Fixed a crash in NetPresenceManager
- Fixed multiple crashes that could occur during Shader optimization
- Fixed a crash in PlacementMeshUpdateJob that occurred on machines with more than 16 cores
- Fixed a start-up crash for CPUs that do not support AVX instructions
- Potential fix for dialogue sounding metallicy and blown out for some users
- Epic SDK updated to latest version and now supports platform features like Achievements and Cloud Saves
- GOG SDK integrated for launch on GOG.com
- Improved VRAM budgeting which should help prevent VRAM-related instability and improve general performance and reduce micro-stutters
- Improved Clouds performance on high and ultra settings
- Improved swap-chain buffering to allow for smoother frame-pacing
- Fixed clouds looking pixelated in certain windowed resolutions
- Added FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening functionality to Graphics Settings
- Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as HDR not working correctly.
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- We're aware of and continue to investigate issues that are not yet solved on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!
It’s a shame that HDR is still not working correctly, but at least we have some performance improvements as well as some audio and functionality improvements along with the usual crash fixes. Either way, Horizon Zero Dawn is looking to be pretty stable now, and is in a much better position than it was earlier at launch.
What do you think? Are you still playing HZD? Are you still experiencing performance issues? Have you been waiting to get the game? And would you say it is now in a decent state to purchase for those who waited? Let us know!